Mostly draft related issues today:
1. DE Shane Ray (Missouri) was cited today for misdemeanor marijuana possession. This will hurt his draft stock, but could lead to a team getting a great deal on a great player (assuming he doesn’t continue to get in trouble).
2. The Washington Redskins will pick up the fifth-year option on the contract of QB Robert Griffin III. If RG3 doesn’t have a good year this year, I would expect this to be his final year in the NFL. Just to remind Redskins fans: you could’ve had Russell Wilson! Although, I guess that is true for all teams.
3. Continuing the talk about the Washington Redskins, the ‘Skins and the Cleveland Browns have been discussing swapping picks. The Browns have two first round picks this year and it will likely cost them both to trade up. I personally believe that, for the sake of jobs in Cleveland, they should not risk trading up just to draft another bust.
4. The Philadelphia Eagles will pick up the fifth-year option on the contract of DE Fletcher Cox. Not great news for me as a Giants fan because he has actually been a good player for the Eagles.
5. Another contract option, the St Louis Rams will pick up the fifth-year option on the contract of DT Michael Brockers. This one actually came as a surprise to me because Aaron Donald is the clear #1 DT in St Louis, but I guess they just wanted a cheap, quality #2 or lower.
That’s all for TheHaysWay today, have a pleasant tomorrow.