The news today consists mostly of contract details:
1. Before the contract details though, OT La’el Collins (LSU) met with Baton Rouge police today. He fully cooperated with the police and, assuming he never becomes a suspect, will get to sign with whatever NFL team he wants after not being drafted.
2. Now contract details: The Houston Texans have extended the contract of LB Whitney Mercilus with 4 years and $26 million. Mercilus was a first round pick in 2012 and has spent all of the past three seasons with the Texans.
3. The Dallas Cowboys will not pick up the fifth-year option on the contract of CB Morris Claiborne. Claiborne was a first round pick in 2012 and has spent all of his 3 seasons with the Cowboys. He has been plagued with injuries his whole NFL career.
4. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have decided not to pick up the fifth year option on RB Doug Martin. Martin was a first round draft pick in 2012 and has spent all of his 3 NFL seasons with the Bucs. Martin was outstanding his rookie year but has been plagued with injuries since. Martin is also a former Boise State Bronco.
5. The Tennessee Titans were, reportedly, ready to draft QB Marcus Mariota (Oregon) before the draft as they had started to implement spread-style plays into their playbook to accommodate the rookie QB.
6. The Seattle Seahawks have declined the fifth-year option for DE Bruce Irvin’s contract. Irvin has spent the past 3 seasons with the ‘Hawks, including both of the Super Bowl runs.
7. The Minnesota Vikings have accepted the fifth-year options on the contracts of FS Harrison Smith and OT Matt Kalil. Smith and Kalil were both 2012 draft picks of the Vikings and have spent the past 3 seasons in Minnesota.
That’s all for TheHaysWay today, have a pleasant tomorrow.