I’m Back (not) in Black. Sorry it has been so long. I’ve had school finals and now band camp, but I’m ready to go, here is some recap of a REALLY long time. BTW, this will be a LONG post:
1. The New York Giants are resting OBJ during OTAs out of fear about his hamstring issues. Have no fear, I’m confident he will be ready to go at the beginning of the season.
2. The Detroit Lions are bringing in free agent RBs Ben Tate and Daniel Thomas for workouts. Tate spent last season with the Cleveland Browns, then Minnesota Vikings, then Pittsburgh Steelers, and the previous three seasons with the Houston Texans. Daniel Thomas spent the past 4 seasons with the Miami Dolphins and left after being declared lesser than current Dolphins RB Lamar Miller.
3. QB Derek Carr has been cleared for participation in the Oakland Raiders minicamp. Carr is going into his second NFL season this year and suffered a finger injury that may limit his throwing abilities for a little while.
4. The Chicago Bears signed CB Tracy Porter. Porter spent last season with the Washington Redskins, the previous season with the Oakland Raiders, the season prior with the Denver Broncos, and the previous 4 seasons with the New Orleans Saints. Porter has NOT been good as of late but made the game-clinching pick-six of QB Peyton Manning in the Saints matchup against the Indianapolis Colts in SB XLIV.
5. The New England Patriots have cut LB Brandon Spikes due to him allegedly rear-ending a car and leaving the scene. He called 911 claiming to have hit a deer. Later, the cops came to the scene and found no deer but did find a rear-ended car with 3 injured people in it, and Brandon Spikes’ car abandoned down the road. He hasn’t been proven guilty but the Pats decided it was enough to cut him. Spikes spent last season with the Buffalo Bills and the previous 4 with the New England Patriots.
6. Miami Dolphins 1st round pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, WR DeVante Parker has had foot surgery. The return timetable is not certain and he is scheduled to be QB Ryan Tannehill’s #2 target behind WR Jarvis Landry.
7. Miami Dolphins K Caleb Sturgis injured his leg during a team-organized kickball game. Sturgis hasn’t had a fantastic field goal percentage and this injury could lead to him finding himself out of a job. Who would have thought that the one guy who kicks all of the time is the one who would get injured during a kickball game?
8. The Cleveland Browns traded a 2017 7th round pick for San Francisco 49ers P Andy Lee. I guess the Browns know they can’t move the ball and are trying to make it a long way for their opponents to drive the ball as well.
9. San Francisco 49ers OT Anthony Davis has retired at the age of 25. I don’t know what has happened in San Francisco to cause so many departures this offseason, but I’m guessing that the St Louis Rams will not be at the bottom of the NFC West this year.
10. New Orleans Saints LB Junior Galette injured his pectoral muscle. He should be back for the season.
11. The St Louis Rams have released WR Bud Sasser due to a health condition. Sasser was a 6th round pick in the 2015 NFL draft.
12. WR Sammy Watkins is staying on the sidelines for the Buffalo Bills OTAs. Watkins is currently rehabbing his hip.
13. TE Jermaine Gresham is visiting the New Orleans Saints. The Saints are attempting to fill the Jimmy Graham void and this will not work if they decide to try it. Gresham was a long-time member of the Cincinnati Bengals.
14. The Oakland Raiders signed WR Trindon Holliday to return kicks. Holliday has spent time with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the New York Giants and the Denver Broncos.
15. The New Orleans Saints have signed DE Cameron Jordan to a 5-year, $60 million extension. Jordan has been a member of the Saints since they drafted him in 2010.
16. The Denver Broncos have signed their 1st round, 23rd overall pick Shane Ray. Ray is a concern due to marijuana possession prior to the draft.
17. QB Cam Newton has signed a 5-year, $103.8 million extension with the Carolina Panthers. Newton has been with the Panthers since they drafted him with the 1st overall pick in 2011.
18. The Arizona Cardinals have signed their 1st round pick, OT D.J. Humphries. He will be getting a 4-year, $8.9 million deal.
19. The Arizona Cardinals have signed DE Frostee Rucker to a 1-year extension.
20. The Atlanta Falcons cut LB Prince Shembo. The cut came following the animal cruelty charge against Shembo. How do the Falcons keep getting the animal abusers? (cough…Vick…cough)
21. OT Ryan Clady has torn his ACL and will be out for the season for the Denver Broncos. This is the second season of the past three that Clady will be out for the majority of the season.
22. OT Jake Long visited the New York Giants following the injury of OT Will Beatty that will keep him sidelined for most of the season. Giants, PLEASE sign Jake Long.
This isn’t all of the news that I’ve missed but I’m tired so this is good enough. Also, I will be releasing my list of the top 200 fantasy football players of 2015 within the next week, so stayed tuned for that. That’s all for TheHaysWay for today, have a pleasant tomorrow.