- BREAKING: The New York Giants are promoting offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo to head coach. As a Giants fan, this move doesn’t thrill me because nobody on the staff of a 6-10 team deserves to be a head coach, especially McAdoo because the offense has been particularly unimpressive despite QB Eli Manning’s improved completion percentage and WR Odell Beckham Jr. The problem is: the Giants couldn’t score consistently and now, I don’t see that changing.
Here is the introduction. Again, breaking news forces the intro into a later part of the post, and McAdoo wasn’t the only new head coach announced today, so let’s get to it:
- The Cleveland Browns have hired Cincinnati Benglas offensive coordinator Hue Jackson to be their new head coach. Jackson has done a tremendous job with the Bengals offense, especially this year, so this was a great move by the Browns. It will also anger their in-state division rival, making it even sweeter for Cleveland. There is also speculation that QB Johnny Manziel’s shenanigans are finished in Cleveland with Jackson’s arrival, which means Cleveland could be taking the first QB off the board in the NFL Draft this season.
- In injury news: TE Rob Gronkowski, New England Patriots was limited in practice, but there is no way he is going to miss their playoff game in my opinion. Teammate DE Chandler Jones was also limited in practice, though I suspect he will also play this weekend. Moving to Seattle, Seahawks RB Marshawn Lynch practiced today. The question now is, will he help Seattle’s offense that has been soaring without him, or will he slow it down?
- A member of the National Football League family passed today as ex-NFL RB Lawrence Phillips died at the age of just 40. Phillips was a first-round pick for the Rams but was out of the league quickly due to off the field issues. He was found dead in his prison cell in what is believed to be a suicide.
- On a much happier note, first-graders in Minnesota wrote letters to Vikings K Blair Walsh. Walsh missed what would have been the game-winning 27 yard field goal in the team’s game against the Seahawks last Sunday. The letters must have been a pleasant experience for Walsh, who has received little but hate since that game despite being his team’s only scorer.
That’s all for TheHaysWay today, have a pleasant tomorrow.