If you haven’t seen We Are Marshall, I HIGHLY encourage it. It is a sad story, but it is VERY inspirational. It also contains phenomenal acting performances. I use this quote because the NFL world has suddenly turned on it’s head. Congratulations New York Jets fans, you are likely more excited right now than any other fan base has been all offseason. I usually get deep and philosophical, but today has HUGE news that I’d like to get to right away:
- !!!!!!!THE NEW YORK JETS HAVE SIGNED QB RYAN FITZPATRICK!!!!!!!! No, you did not read that incorrectly. I will repeat: THE NEW YORK JETS HAVE SIGNED QB RYAN FITZPATRICK. Literally, just yesterday I read an article that said the Jets and Fitzpatrick were NOT EVEN CLOSE to an agreement on a contract. After the signing was announced today, Jets RB Matt Forte said the team knew about the negotiations, but were told not to speak about the matter. WHAT!? How in the WORLD did a NEW YORK-BASED team, especially one which is CONSTANTLY in the spotlight for being dramatic, manage to keep a secret THIS MASSIVE from THE MAFFIA (I mean, MEDIA)? I have NO IDEA how the Jets organization did it, but CONGRATULATIONS to their public relations department! The fact that they kept that TOTALLY secret (ALL media outlets have been consistently speaking about the distance between Fitzpatrick and the Jets) is ABSOLUTELY applause worthy! I can’t even fathom how that was possible! Sorry, rambling. Obviously, this changes things A LOT. I will need to update my win projections for the upcoming season, and QB Tom Brady’s suspension may very well hurt the New England Patriots now. Hopefully, I can finish that within the next week. Also, the contract is for one year, and $12 million, and get this: Fitzpatrick has the possibility of making $3 million more depending on team performance. This Jets team seems loaded and inspired. WOW!!!!!!
- Moving on from the Earth-shattering news, the Los Angeles Rams decided to release QB Nick Foles today following his request to be released. Obviously, Foles recognized there was no place for him in town with the arrival of #1 overall pick, QB Jared Goff. Possible landing spots for Foles include: Buffalo (insurance for starter Tyrod Taylor), Chicago (this one is just me hoping that SOMEBODY will finally recognize that Jay Cutler should NOT be starting), Cleveland (because, why not?), Denver (Peyton Manning replacement?), New England (Brady is suspended for the first four games of the season, remember?), San Francisco (this once is most likely, in my opinion because Foles is DEFINITELY superior to Blaine Gabbert and Colin Kaepernick, barring some career turnaround for either of those two).
- WR Hakeem Nicks will sign with the New Orleans Saints. I was really glad to see this headline. Nicks has a lot of talent, but was plagued by injuries during his time with the New York Giants, and was pushed out by the emergence of WR Victor Cruz (and replaced by a player that might sound familiar: Odell Beckham Jr). I still remember his incredible ‘Hail Mary’ catch right before halftime against the Green Bay Packers during the Giants divisional round game on their road to winning Super Bowl 46. Nicks is just 28 years old and New Orleans is a great landing spot for him. If you remember, one of my recent posts addressed the fact that the NFC South (specifically New Orleans) has a propensity to turn players’ careers around. Maybe with the fall of QB Drew Brees (only because he’s old, I’m not saying he’s not a good player anymore), will come the re-emergence of Nicks.
- Ryan Fitzpatrick was not the only signing the Jets made today, as they also added RB Bernard Pierce. Maybe not as flashy, but Pierce used to be a capable fill-in in Baltimore when RB Ray Rice was dealing with his stupidity.
- Remember how I was saying yesterday that it wasn’t a good idea to sign players with off-the-field problems? Well, guess what Jerry? I was right! As a result of having three suspensions in their front seven, the Dallas Cowboys are facing a fine of $250,000. Obviously, that’s not anywhere NEAR enough to discourage ‘Boys owner Jerry Jones from taking talent over personality, but it’s a start.
- While the New York Jets have been keeping their mouths shut over their team’s matters, the other team that shares MetLife Stadium has not been. Today, instead of the epiphany coming from QB Eli Manning, it came from New York Giants WR Odell Beckham Jr, who made a Super Bowl promise to the young attendees of a football camp that he was hosting. Seriously, somebody needs to remind the Giants that they are in NEW YORK. If you make those promises, NEW YORK expects you to DELIVER. There IS a reason the Jets kept their mouths shut about the Fitzpatrick deal. It’s never a good idea to give New York fans a false sense of hope. If the whole team was made up of 53 Odell Beckham Jrs, I would definitely believe in his Super Bowl promise. Unfortunately, he isn’t playing on the offensive line, or in the linebacker corps. Super Bowl teams need to be a little more well-rounded. By the way, if you are right OBJ, I will give you a HUGE apology because I will be crying my eyes out in joy if the Giants win the Super Bowl. I would love to have that MASSIVE boost of happiness. That’s why I watch the game. That’s why I love the game. Football means the world to me because it always seems to be there to make me feel better when I need it the most. It’s magical.
That’s all for TheHaysWay today, make sure to leave a comment regarding the daily quote, and/or the daily news, and/or anything that’s on your mind. By the way, question of the day: What does football mean to you? Have a pleasant tomorrow.