“Forty-eight years is almost enough time to hold a record.” -Larisa Latynina, Olympic Gymnast (9 gold medals; 1956-1964), Russia (USSR or Soviet Union at the time)
Olympic opening week continues, this time with the top gold medal-ling athlete from the 2nd-most gold medal-ling country. Another quote that is fairly straightforward, but embodies what it means to be an Olympian. Obviously it requires A LOT of training to be an Olympian (even A LOT doesn’t come close to describing it). Just to make it to the Olympics is a HUGE feat. To set OLYMPIC records makes someone an instant legend. The odds of any person born into this world setting an Olympic record are lower than the odds of winning any of the lotteries in the world. ABSURDLY impressive feats for ABSURDLY impressive athletes. Olympic records are awesome to see, especially if you get to see it LIVE (just don’t get Zika if you’re going to watch the Olympics live in Rio). Something else that is awesome to see (though on a much different scale) is the NFL news:
- The Dallas Cowboys woes continue. Today, backup QB Kellen Moore broke his ankle in practice. Frankly, I was heartbroken when I heard this. As a Boise State fan, Kellen Moore is my favorite player of all time. While it will be nice for the Cowboys to lack a quality backup, I would much rather see Kellen on the field, even as a Giants fan. That’s how big of a fan of Kellen Moore, I am. Why couldn’t Tony Romo have just gotten hurt again!? 😦 With Moore’s injury, the Cowboys have now set the record for most Boise State, NFL players that aren’t able to take the field. Moore is injured, Tyrone Crawford is injured, and DeMarcus Lawrence opens the season with a suspension. Why did you have to drag Boise State grads into your bad luck, Dallas?
- In happier news (as is typically the case coming out of Arizona, rather than Dallas), the Arizona Cardinals have extended FS Tyrann Mathieu’s contract. Said extension is for five-years, $62.5 million, and $40 million in guarantees. If Mathieu can stay healthy, he is ABSOLUTELY worth it. He is one of the best safeties in the league because of his ball-hawking skills, and he makes Arizona’s secondary one of the best in the league when he is teamed-up with CB Patrick Peterson.
- RB Trent Richardson has been released by the Baltimore Ravens. Yeah, most people saw that one coming. That is likely the end of Richardson’s NFL career.
- Cincinnati Bengals first-round pick, CB William Jackson tore his pectoral in practice. Interestingly enough , many people believe the Bengals drafted Jackson so the Pittsburgh Steelers couldn’t have him. If that is the case, I’m guessing the Bengals are rethinking their strategy. Luckily, the Bengals still have Adam Jones, Dre Kirkpatrick, and Darqueze Dennard to start in the secondary, and all are capable. They better be ready because Jackson could potentially miss the entire season.
- Staying in Cincinnati, the Bengals have signed FB Ryan Hewitt to a three-year contract extension. The deal is for $7.5 million with a $1.5 million signing bonus. Hewitt has been steadily becoming a phenomenal blocker out of the backfield.
- The Atlanta Falcons are continuing their pursuit past mediocrity. Today, they signed veteran DE Dwight Freeney. Freeney will be more of a mentor to last season’s first-round pick, Vic Beasley Jr, than a starter in Atlanta.
- Another veteran signing, the San Diego Chargers were quick to respond to the injury sustained by WR Stevie Johnson, as they signed WR James Jones. Jones will likely play third-fiddle to WRs Keenan Allen and Travis Benjamin. Jones has proven to be HIGHLY ineffective outside of Green Bay, but the Chargers clearly believe he is worth the risk.
- Finally, someone outside of my family has discovered the danger that is Pokemon Go. Detroit Lions OG Larry Warford played the game when it first came out. On Monday, Warford discovered the horrifying reality that nearly everyone is addicted to the game. He immediately deleted the game after this realization, calling it, “some mind-control stuff.” I’m glad I’m not the only conspiracy theorist. I could never bring myself to download that game. People are playing it EVERYWHERE they go! You go to the park, and instead of people enjoying the scenery or eating shave ice, they’re all walking around, scrutinizing their phones like a bunch of zombies. It’s disturbing! I’m concerned the government is experimenting with methods for mind control, and this one easily gives them control of 75% of America. Wake up, people! There are WAY more important things in life than video games. Don’t be so obsessed with it. I would personally recommend actually speaking to the people around you (and NOT about Pokemon!).
That’s not all for TheHays way today, yet. I have an exciting announcement. I might, MIGHT, begin vlogging, too. I’m still working out a few kinks in the system, so it’s not a go as of right now, but I would really like to make it work. It will give you guys a more in-depth analysis of the things I talk about in my daily blog posts, and it would also expand my audience to YouTube which would be HUGE for my blogging endeavors. So, stay tuned for that. If I can work that out, rest assured, you guys will get exclusive access that YouTube won’t get because THIS blog is still my number one priority. The daily posts will still continue, you will just get expanded content. If this possibility excites you, PLEASE leave a like to encourage me to work through the kinks faster. There are a lot of kinks right now, so there is no definite timetable for the vlog yet. IF this works out, HOPEFULLY, I will have it running by the end of this month. 🙂
That’s all for TheHaysWay today, make sure to leave a comment on the daily quote and/or the daily news and/or the exciting announcement and/or whatever is on your mind, along with a much-appreciated like. Have a pleasant tomorrow.