So, before I begin, I want to say that I’ve decided to split the daily news apart from the daily quote because the posts were getting WAY too long with the game analysis, now that football is back. Also, I want to start with the game analysis, but the game isn’t over yet, so I’m going to start with the general news:
- The expectation is that the 2017 NFL Draft will be in Philadelphia. It has not been officially announced yet, but it sounds like the city of brotherly love has won the sweepstakes for “most popular city in late April/early May”. Obviously, as a Giants fan, I don’t like the verdict. But, the draft was in New York for a LONG time, so I don’t have much room to complain. Oh well.
- The legacies of LBs James Harrison (Pittsburgh Steelers), Clay Mathews (Green Bay Packers, and Julius Peppers (Green Bay Packers) are safe, for now. All three were cleared following the NFL’s probe into accusations of PED usage. Thank goodness. I always hate to hear that great players cheated to be great. It’s good to know that these three did not. Harrison, apparently, even made a cool, celebratory collage!
- Pittsburgh Steelers WR Antonio Brown has had his contract restructured with the team. He is still signed through the 2017 season, but he will make $10.25 million this season, instead of his original $6.25 million. Well deserved; Brown is the best receiver in the NFL, and a staple in the Steelers offense. I’m sure this excited him, Steelers nation, and QB Ben Roethlisberger.
- Speaking of the Pittsburgh Steelers (they’re popular today), they signed QB Zach Mettenberger, today. The QB was released by the San Diego Chargers earlier this week, and I said that he should call the Minnesota Vikings, following the injury to QB Teddy Bridgewater. But, he wasn’t a free agent long enough to make that call. Now, he will backup QB Ben Roethlisberger (who usually misses a game or two each season). To make room for Mettenberger, the Steelers placed QB Bruce Gradkowski on injured reserve, with a hamstring injury. Good signing. Mettenberger will be a MUCH better fill-in than Landry Jones, who hasn’t found ANY traction since he entered the league. Honestly, I don’t know why the Steelers are still keeping Jones on the roster.
The game is now over, so moving on to game analysis:
- Washington Redskins 20 @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers 13– Noteworthy: For Washington, RB Mack Brown (19 CAR, 149 YD, TD) had a HUGE game. That’s great news for the Redskins, as they are leaning on RB Matt Jones to start for the first time in his career. If Jones struggles, they can turn to Brown. For Tampa Bay, their defense REALLY struggled. They had no TO. Against an offense that is as lackluster as Washington’s, that’s definitely something to worry about for the Bucs. They only need average play from their defense this season to allow QB Jameis Winston, RB Doug Martin, and WR Mike Evans to keep the offense ahead in points.
That’s all for TheHaysWay today, make sure to leave a comment on the daily news and/or on the game analysis and/or on whatever is on your mind, along with a much-appreciated like. If you read this before the daily quote, don’t worry, just scroll down a little. I posted the daily quote first, today, so it’s still there. If you like what you read and you are not yet a follower, become a follower to continue to get both the daily news, and the daily quote. 🙂 Have a pleasant tomorrow.